Intellivision reveals new console – AMICO
Original article from Pop Culture Fun Malaysia 🙂
Previously I would start the narrative with “Blast from the Past” but now I will go with – the legendary home console ICON with the Legacy of Firsts, has been Rebirth-ed! (DC pun)
On 29 May 2018, it was announced that gaming industry veteran Tommy Tallarico, had acquired the rights to Intellivision from Mattel and will now head the console as CEO, just 7 months shy of the consoles 40th Birthday!
Here is the official press release and trailer video! It’s looks great. Personally I think it is coming out at a right time where retro gaming is on a rise! The response has be very exciting for the re-packaged release of the 8-bit Nintendo (NES) and also the 16-bit Super Nintendo (Super Famicon). Then followed by the SEGA Megadrive Neo-Geo has started working on theirs too with the trend setter PlayStation 1 aka PSX aka PS One repack named ‘PlayStation Classic’ arriving in Malaysia this December.
So looking forward to this AMICO… which means ‘friend’ in Italian. ‘AMIGO’ is Spanish for friend, just in case you wanted to ask 😀 GAME ON EVERYONE!
#Intellivision #TommyTallarico #Amico #IntellivisionAmico #Nintendo #Atari #SEGA #SEGAmegadrive #SuperNintendo #SuperFamicom #NeoGeo #PlayStation #PSX #PSone #LegacyOfFirsts #TheCaptain #PopCultureFunMY #CosplayFunMY #Malaysia #PlayStationClassic #Gamer4Life #GAMEON #VideoGames #RetroGaming #VideoGameConsole
INTELLIVISION® REVEALS INITIAL DETAILS FOR THE UPCOMING AMICO™ HOME VIDEO GAME CONSOLE!
GROUNDBREAKING CONSOLE APPROACHES GAMING AND THE ENTIRE GAME INDUSTRY IN A COMPLETELY UNIQUE WAY
IRVINE, CA, October 22, 2018 – Almost 40 years after the release of the original Intellivision® home video game system which helped to redefine the video game industry, Intellivision® Entertainment is proud to carry on its “Legacy of Firsts” by announcing the brand new revolutionary family home video game console named Amico™ to be released on October 10th, 2020 (1010 2020). Amico is the Italian word for “friend” or “buddy” and encapsulates an element of the approach and dynamics for what makes the new console so unique and an exciting addition to everyone’s family.
“We are creating a console that parents WANT to buy, not that they were asked to buy,” stated Intellivision president and 30 year industry veteran Tommy Tallarico during his keynote address over the weekend at the Portland Retro Gaming Expo. Tallarico went on to say, “Most every game being made for the home consoles these days is created with only the hardcore gamer in mind. We see a world where everyone is interested in playing at home and with friends, but this isn’t currently possible because the barrier to entry is nearly impossible for a non-gamer due to the complexity of the controllers, intricacy of gameplay, expense of the hardware and software and steep learning curve with an unbalanced fun factor for the beginner. Our goal was to create a console that both gamers and non-gamers are able to have fun with and play together. The Intellivision Amico is our answer to this gaping hole we see within the current video game industry.”
Intellivision Entertainment continues to build upon its gaming legacy with support and expertise from industry veterans and superstars, including longtime product manager/producer/marketer Jason Enos (involved in over 100 products launches, including the Metal Gear Solid®, Castlevania®, Contra®, Dance Dance Revolution®, Silent Hill®, TEKKEN™, Ace Combat®, Dragon Ball Z®, Monopoly® and PAC-MAN™ franchises), Perrin Kaplan (Zebra Partners, former Nintendo VP of Marketing & Corporate Affairs; launched the Nintendo Wii®, Nintendo DS®, Super Nintendo®, Nintendo Gamecube®, N64®), Beth Llewlyn (Zebra Partners, former Nintendo PR; launched the Nintendo Wii®, Nintendo DS®, Pokemon™), Scott Tsumura (Tozai Games, formerly co-founder and President of Nintendo Software Technology Corporation, and a pioneer in the early days of arcade game production, including Moon Patrol, Kung Fu Master, 10 Yard Fight, etc.), Phil Adam (Founder of Spectrum Holobyte, President & VP of Interplay Productions, helped introduce Tetris® to the world), André LaMothe (Hardware Evangelist, programmer, designer, author, over 750 products to market, artificial intelligence design for NASA) and advisor David Perry (Earthworm Jim™, Disney’s Aladdin™, founder of Shiny Entertainment and co-founder of Gaikai cloud gaming utilized in the Sony PlayStation®4).
Game industry analyst and Wedbush Securities Managing Director of Equity Research Michael Pachter commented, “I think it’s about time somebody focused on families with kid-friendly games. Intellivision has a long history of delivering content that everybody can enjoy, and with the revived console priced right, I expect it to be immensely successful. The company has the right leadership and is positioned in an underserved niche, I think the re-launch will be a home run.”
“Intellivision Entertainment is also proud to announce that it joins console manufacturers Sony®, Microsoft® and Nintendo® as the fourth game console company to be an active member of the Entertainment Software Association (ESA). The ESA’s mission is dedicated to serving the business and public affairs needs of the video game industry as well as owning and operating the Electronic Entertainment Exposition (E3).”
Experience the Intellivision® Amico™ Reveal Trailer HERE:https://youtu.be/xokUnn1lBGA
INTELLIVISION AMICO™ FEATURES AND INFORMATION:
PRICE RANGE (RETAIL)
• US $149 – $179
NORTH AMERICAN, UNITED KINGDOM AND EUROPEAN RELEASE DATE
• October 10, 2020 (1010 2020)
• All games are family friendly and rated “E for Everyone” or “E10+”.
• Every game version on the console is EXCLUSIVE.
• Quality over quantity! All games must past a strict quality control seal of approval.
• Balanced gameplay and design for Equal Opportunity Gaming™ for all.
• All games are downloadable and between US $2.99 – $7.99.
• No costly DLC (Downloadable Content) add-on’s or “In-App Purchases”.
• Launch to include several built-in reimagined Intellivision Classics (pre-installed in every console) and over 20 games including both reimagined industry classics and brand new exclusive titles via the Intellivision Online Store.
• 2 wireless Bluetooth controllers (up to 8 player compatible and connectivity).
• 3 ½ inch (2:3 aspect ratio) Color Touchscreen.
• Pioneering tilting positional disc with surrounding interactive LED border.
• 4 arcade-style tactile feedback buttons.
• Gyroscope & Accelerometer.
• Force feedback.
• Controller to be used horizontally or vertically including dominant left or right hand usage.
• Qi (pronounced “CHEE”) wireless onboard charging.
• Free downloadable app enables mobile phones as additional controllers (up to 8 players).
HARDWARE & TECHNOLOGY
• State of the Art 21st Century 2D Image Processing and Graphics Capability
• Intellivision Prism™ Onboard Interactive Lighting Technology.
• WiFi/BT & Ethernet Connectivity.
• HDMI Video Output.
• Multiple USB Ports
• System Expansion Interface.
• Intellivision Online Store for the ability to purchase additional software.
• Multi-player online gaming and structured multi-tiered tournament play.
• Time & Space Leaderboard System™ which includes high scores by locations and calendar.
• Trophy/Achievement rewards system which awards unique accomplishments to each player.
• Includes updated graphics, modernized audio, additional levels, multi-player modes (local and online), tournament modes AND MORE!
• Intellivision Classics REIMAGINED and REMADE EXCLUSIVELY for the Intellivision Amico™:
Astrosmash™, Shark! Shark!™, Baseball, Night Stalker™, Skiing, Math Fun™, SNAFU™, Utopia™, Frog Bog™, Boxing, Bowling, Triple Action™, Tron Deadly Discs™, Cloudy Mountain: Crown of Kings, Star Strike™, Horse Racing, Auto Racing, B-17 Bomber™ AND MORE!
• Atari Classics REIMAGINED and REMADE EXCLUSIVELY for the Intellivision Amico™:
Pong™, Asteroids™, Centipede™, Tempest™, Adventure™, Missile Command™, Yar’s Revenge™, Breakout™, Lunar Lander™, Night Driver™, Sky Diver™, Warlords™
• Imagic Classics REIMAGINED and REMADE EXCLUSIVELY for the Intellivision Amico™:
Microsurgeon™, Atlantis™, Demon Attack™, Dracula™, Beauty and the Beast™, Ice Trek™, Swords & Serpents™, Dragonfire™, Truckin’™ AND MORE!
Other Games REIMAGINED and REMADE EXCLUSIVELY for the Intellivision Amico™:
• Miner 2049er™
• Super Burgertime™
• Bad Dudes™
• Caveman Ninja™
• Moon Patrol™
• 10 Yard Fight™
• Lode Runner™
• Kung-Fu Master™
• MotoRace USA™
• Tropical Angel™
• ToeJam & Earl™
Not only will the Intellivision Amico™ bring the fun and simplicity of classic gaming to modern day, but an entire plethora of completely brand new games and franchises are currently being created by game developers and game publishers around the world using the same core principles of sensible, simple and fun.
“The average age of a gamer today is 34 years old, and the market reflects that with a broad array of games for people of all ages. Of course, some parents may find that many of those games are not age-appropriate for their children,” said ESRB president, Patricia Vance. “Intellivision’s policy to only offer games rated E for Everyone and E10+ for Everyone 10 and up on its new system makes finding the right games easier for busy families, especially those with young gamers.”
Followers can join the Intellivision family by subscribing to updates at IntellivisionEntertainment.com.
INTELLIVISION® History & Facts – “A LEGACY OF FIRSTS”:
• Intellivision was the first 16-bit game console, a full 2 generations before it became the industry standard.
• The original Intellivision system was so popular that it sold across 3 decades (1979 – 1990).
• The Intellivision control disc was the first game console to offer a directional thumb pad which was the predecessor to what later became the industry standard directional pad (D-Pad). It was also the first game console to allow for 16 directions while offering 4 action buttons and a 12-button keypad, which opened up greater game play options and control.
• The Intellivision was the first video game console that had a built-in PAUSE feature on the controller.
• The first console to have built-in screen burn-in protection by blacking out the TV after a few minutes of game inactivity. This vision and idea was the precursor to the entire “screen saver” concept.
• The very first video game to have speech/voice was the 1979 Intellivision release of Major League Baseball.
• Intellivision was the first console which incorporated professional sports licensing for its sports games, the boxes were emblazoned with official logos from Major League Baseball (MLB), National Football League (NFL), National Hockey League (NHL), National Basketball Association (NBA), Professional Golfers’ Association (PGA), North American Soccer League (NASL), Professional Bowlers Association (PBA), American Backgammon Players Association (ABPA), the United States Chess Federation (USCF) and the U.S. Ski Team.
• Intellivision had the largest home console software library in the world with the release of their cross-platform “System Changer” device that allowed Atari® 2600 games to be played on the Intellivision system.
• 30 years ahead of its time, the Intellivision was the very first game console to offer digital distribution of video games through the PlayCable service. The PlayCable adapter connected to the Intellivision cartridge port and allowed the downloading of games through a cable TV subscription. New York Yankee legend and Hall of Famer Mickey Mantle was the TV and print ad spokesmen for the product which was released in 1981.
• With the release of the Keyboard Component, Intellivision was one of the first video game systems that was able to be used and turned into a home computer.
• The Intellivision Music Synthesizer was the first game console or home computer to offer a musical synthesizer keyboard. This allowed people to play and create music using technology.
• The first home console and video games to use a tile based playfield which allowed for the display of detailed graphics and color with very little RAM.
• Intellivision was the first game console to have a complete built-in character font. Intellivision’s system font had complete upper and lowercase alphabets, numerals, and almost all of the punctuation and symbols found on standard computer keyboards.
• The Intellivision game Utopia™ was the very first “real time strategy” and city building/god game.
• Intellivision was responsible for the first “Console War” when it launched a national ad campaign against then rival Atari®, by using side-by-side comparisons with journalist George Plimpton as its spokesman.