Spider-Man: Into The Spider-Verse opens in Malaysia 7 December in all cinemas. Thanks to Sony Pictures, Outpost Productions and TGV Cinemas.
#Spiderman #SpidermanIntoTheSpiderVerse #SpiderVerse
#SonyPicturesAnimation #SonyPicturesMalaysia #TheCaptain
#PopCultureFunMY #CosplayFunMY #Marvel #MilesMorales
#PeterParker #GwenStacy #SpiderGwen #SpidermanNoir #PeniParker
Original article here at PopCultureFunMY
Ding ding ding ding ding ding… the count down has already started. No Darkseid is not coming because the DCEU has been scraped. No it’s not the Doomsday clock or the Doomsday countdown from the WATCHMEN… Nor is it ‘2 Minutes to Midnight’ hahaha just had to throw in some Iron Maiden trivia as it’s what I’m listening to as I write this.
Its the count down to the debut of Malaysia Comic Con…. or is it Comic Con Malaysia? Well the registry says its Comic Con Malaysia Sdn Bhd, however I’ve always read the logo as Malaysia Comic Con since it debut early this year with the tagline suggesting it is the most legit use of the ‘comic con’ name, possibly because they sort covering or permission or endorsement from the ‘comic con’ originators or trademark (TM) holders… which can only mean the SDCC folks aka San Diego Comic-Con aka Comic-Con International! This is just my 2 cent guess because no official information has been released to anyone and their event is just 3 months away. Well I guess if you’re friends with any of the 5 employees or the boss, you would probably know more than me 😀
Anyways, I guess 90+ days is still pretty far for Malaysia standards so the excitement continues to maintain at a benefit-of-the-doubt level. With that said there’s always that ‘Fear of the Dark’ feel…. (Maiden pun again)… or that “I have a bad feeling about this” (Star Wars pun). Personally out of about 7 promises of Comic Con events only has one has delivery a BOOM + post-BOOM effect after the event has passed. Best part was this event was so chill & humble that I thought it was SOOO BLOODY UNDER SOLD compared to all the over-hype* these days – supa exaggerated copy writing, or comic style funky graphics, uninformed claims / tag lines etc. The event in mention was this one called Malaysia Games & Comic Convention (MGCCon) held in 2012. This event had 4 Marvel / DC level artist guest and the most popular cosplayer in the world! You had to be there to experience it and then later experience life without it. Comics fans can testify 😀 At least I think they can. Please, go look it up!
Just some recent examples of over-hype* I mentioned above:
1) In 2015 – a new event used the tagline “Malaysia’s FIRST EVER” comic con. Good hyped tagline but what about Comic Fiesta? Around since 2002 – present. So did you mean western comics? What about MGCCon in 2012?? Recently I learnt that there were comic strip / newspaper comic strip events in KL held back in the 80s, so that was pretty cool to learn about 🙂
2) January 2018 – event boasting headline announcing “a World Class Comic Con experience”. Then later it mellowed down a bit to “The Unforgettable Pop Culture Experience”.
3) August 2017 – new event to highlight toys, games, anime, comics – with all this in the event name… later adopts the tagline – Malaysia’s premiere toys & collectibles… just redirecting emphasis to toys + collectible and not games, anime, comics.
4) October 2018 – debut events caption says it’s “the most exciting new event of the year” with just 65 Likes on their FB page since January 2018.
Now, don’t get me wrong… I’m not writing to slam copy writing or condemn events but rather to highlight some awareness. All the 4 case events (name withheld because that’s not the point) mentioned above were great and achieved commendable things individually. So for the organisers & con goers:
a) Most of us who have been around, are sorta immune to big claims, hot air… ‘Holy Smoke’ even (Maiden pun). Yes, there is a role for all this stylo writing. I call it the ‘marketing lingo’ which is much needed to be presented to corporate sponsors etc. So everyone should chill and not react at the first announcement of a new event. Give these folks a chance. They are choosing to make a difference by not just being a Convention Goer but now a Convention Organiser. And it’s no small task. The thought to organise a convention is like asking ‘Can I play with MADNESS’ and being firm you won’t have a mental breakdown while doing it. (Maiden pun again)
b) Our focus determines our reality – if you want to learn from events… when you go to an event you will learn some. If you want to compile facts to condemn an event… you will go there & come back with a list. We can learn much from each other.
So with this I’m looking forward at what cool things Pop-Con 2019 brings at a time of the year which is vacant of much events. Currently I am particularly interested for them to reveal who they’re 3 guest are going to be. The only hints are: Game Director, International Voice Actor and Comic Illustrator. I have a cynical guess but I’ll keep that to myself as I m doing my best to stay positive. BECAUSE… my 2 cents thinks that this announcement will be a major decider for the con-goers perception of the event.
LASTLY, some free wisdom thru the years I’ve been around the community… the pop culture community, be it Anime or ACG or Western Comics or Gaming, has progressed much thru the years… and it has also has not. However it’s not necessarily ‘Wasted Years’ (Maiden pun, last one) but I wanna put this new wisdom out there to those willing to hear – I think it’s time for the “FOR FANS, BY FANS” motto to end (speaks with a Kylo Ren voice). I have watched many groups, friends & entities achieve some… under achieve.. and very rarely – SCORE BIG TIME… and continue to take it to the next level!
It takes more than “For Fans, By Fans” for the event to be successful. Before let share wha I believe defines event-success = in my opinion true event success is:
- The event has a true SOUL of what it’s suppose to be
- Financially viable to continue (survive)
- Have room to grow / expand.
No doubt, in the (Dream) TEAM you need people who are fans aka Subject Matter Experts, however you do also need a few more key skilled folks! You also need the Events experts (build up / logistics / lay out), then also the Marketing, Promotions & Sales TEAM. Don’t forget the master of the numbers. After that then it’s down to planning, like-minded+tested core support and EXECUTION. This is the super simplified peaNUT shell version. Further elaboration for another time…
Thanks for reading. Enjoy your events 🙂 Do write to us or comment below if you want to 🙂Cheers!
#PopCon2019 #MalaysiaComicCon #ComicConMalaysia #Malaysia #TheCaptain #PopCultureFunMY #CosplayFunMY #PopCulture #GeekCulture #GeekEvents #IronMaiden #EventOrganising #MGCCon #MalaysiaGamesComicCon
Till then will be looking forward to the ‘New Kid on the Block’ event to begin 2019:
Pop-Con 2019 by Comic Con Malaysia
26 – 27 January
Putra World Trade Centre, KL
Original article from Pop Culture Fun Malaysia 🙂
Previously I would start the narrative with “Blast from the Past” but now I will go with – the legendary home console ICON with the Legacy of Firsts, has been Rebirth-ed! (DC pun)
On 29 May 2018, it was announced that gaming industry veteran Tommy Tallarico, had acquired the rights to Intellivision from Mattel and will now head the console as CEO, just 7 months shy of the consoles 40th Birthday!
Here is the official press release and trailer video! It’s looks great. Personally I think it is coming out at a right time where retro gaming is on a rise! The response has be very exciting for the re-packaged release of the 8-bit Nintendo (NES) and also the 16-bit Super Nintendo (Super Famicon). Then followed by the SEGA Megadrive Neo-Geo has started working on theirs too with the trend setter PlayStation 1 aka PSX aka PS One repack named ‘PlayStation Classic’ arriving in Malaysia this December.
So looking forward to this AMICO… which means ‘friend’ in Italian. ‘AMIGO’ is Spanish for friend, just in case you wanted to ask 😀 GAME ON EVERYONE!
#Intellivision #TommyTallarico #Amico #IntellivisionAmico #Nintendo #Atari #SEGA #SEGAmegadrive #SuperNintendo #SuperFamicom #NeoGeo #PlayStation #PSX #PSone #LegacyOfFirsts #TheCaptain #PopCultureFunMY #CosplayFunMY #Malaysia #PlayStationClassic #Gamer4Life #GAMEON #VideoGames #RetroGaming #VideoGameConsole
INTELLIVISION® REVEALS INITIAL DETAILS FOR THE UPCOMING AMICO™ HOME VIDEO GAME CONSOLE!
GROUNDBREAKING CONSOLE APPROACHES GAMING AND THE ENTIRE GAME INDUSTRY IN A COMPLETELY UNIQUE WAY
IRVINE, CA, October 22, 2018 – Almost 40 years after the release of the original Intellivision® home video game system which helped to redefine the video game industry, Intellivision® Entertainment is proud to carry on its “Legacy of Firsts” by announcing the brand new revolutionary family home video game console named Amico™ to be released on October 10th, 2020 (1010 2020). Amico is the Italian word for “friend” or “buddy” and encapsulates an element of the approach and dynamics for what makes the new console so unique and an exciting addition to everyone’s family.
“We are creating a console that parents WANT to buy, not that they were asked to buy,” stated Intellivision president and 30 year industry veteran Tommy Tallarico during his keynote address over the weekend at the Portland Retro Gaming Expo. Tallarico went on to say, “Most every game being made for the home consoles these days is created with only the hardcore gamer in mind. We see a world where everyone is interested in playing at home and with friends, but this isn’t currently possible because the barrier to entry is nearly impossible for a non-gamer due to the complexity of the controllers, intricacy of gameplay, expense of the hardware and software and steep learning curve with an unbalanced fun factor for the beginner. Our goal was to create a console that both gamers and non-gamers are able to have fun with and play together. The Intellivision Amico is our answer to this gaping hole we see within the current video game industry.”
Intellivision Entertainment continues to build upon its gaming legacy with support and expertise from industry veterans and superstars, including longtime product manager/producer/marketer Jason Enos (involved in over 100 products launches, including the Metal Gear Solid®, Castlevania®, Contra®, Dance Dance Revolution®, Silent Hill®, TEKKEN™, Ace Combat®, Dragon Ball Z®, Monopoly® and PAC-MAN™ franchises), Perrin Kaplan (Zebra Partners, former Nintendo VP of Marketing & Corporate Affairs; launched the Nintendo Wii®, Nintendo DS®, Super Nintendo®, Nintendo Gamecube®, N64®), Beth Llewlyn (Zebra Partners, former Nintendo PR; launched the Nintendo Wii®, Nintendo DS®, Pokemon™), Scott Tsumura (Tozai Games, formerly co-founder and President of Nintendo Software Technology Corporation, and a pioneer in the early days of arcade game production, including Moon Patrol, Kung Fu Master, 10 Yard Fight, etc.), Phil Adam (Founder of Spectrum Holobyte, President & VP of Interplay Productions, helped introduce Tetris® to the world), André LaMothe (Hardware Evangelist, programmer, designer, author, over 750 products to market, artificial intelligence design for NASA) and advisor David Perry (Earthworm Jim™, Disney’s Aladdin™, founder of Shiny Entertainment and co-founder of Gaikai cloud gaming utilized in the Sony PlayStation®4).
Game industry analyst and Wedbush Securities Managing Director of Equity Research Michael Pachter commented, “I think it’s about time somebody focused on families with kid-friendly games. Intellivision has a long history of delivering content that everybody can enjoy, and with the revived console priced right, I expect it to be immensely successful. The company has the right leadership and is positioned in an underserved niche, I think the re-launch will be a home run.”
“Intellivision Entertainment is also proud to announce that it joins console manufacturers Sony®, Microsoft® and Nintendo® as the fourth game console company to be an active member of the Entertainment Software Association (ESA). The ESA’s mission is dedicated to serving the business and public affairs needs of the video game industry as well as owning and operating the Electronic Entertainment Exposition (E3).”
Experience the Intellivision® Amico™ Reveal Trailer HERE:https://youtu.be/xokUnn1lBGA
INTELLIVISION AMICO™ FEATURES AND INFORMATION:
PRICE RANGE (RETAIL)
• US $149 – $179
NORTH AMERICAN, UNITED KINGDOM AND EUROPEAN RELEASE DATE
• October 10, 2020 (1010 2020)
• All games are family friendly and rated “E for Everyone” or “E10+”.
• Every game version on the console is EXCLUSIVE.
• Quality over quantity! All games must past a strict quality control seal of approval.
• Balanced gameplay and design for Equal Opportunity Gaming™ for all.
• All games are downloadable and between US $2.99 – $7.99.
• No costly DLC (Downloadable Content) add-on’s or “In-App Purchases”.
• Launch to include several built-in reimagined Intellivision Classics (pre-installed in every console) and over 20 games including both reimagined industry classics and brand new exclusive titles via the Intellivision Online Store.
• 2 wireless Bluetooth controllers (up to 8 player compatible and connectivity).
• 3 ½ inch (2:3 aspect ratio) Color Touchscreen.
• Pioneering tilting positional disc with surrounding interactive LED border.
• 4 arcade-style tactile feedback buttons.
• Gyroscope & Accelerometer.
• Force feedback.
• Controller to be used horizontally or vertically including dominant left or right hand usage.
• Qi (pronounced “CHEE”) wireless onboard charging.
• Free downloadable app enables mobile phones as additional controllers (up to 8 players).
HARDWARE & TECHNOLOGY
• State of the Art 21st Century 2D Image Processing and Graphics Capability
• Intellivision Prism™ Onboard Interactive Lighting Technology.
• WiFi/BT & Ethernet Connectivity.
• HDMI Video Output.
• Multiple USB Ports
• System Expansion Interface.
• Intellivision Online Store for the ability to purchase additional software.
• Multi-player online gaming and structured multi-tiered tournament play.
• Time & Space Leaderboard System™ which includes high scores by locations and calendar.
• Trophy/Achievement rewards system which awards unique accomplishments to each player.
• Includes updated graphics, modernized audio, additional levels, multi-player modes (local and online), tournament modes AND MORE!
• Intellivision Classics REIMAGINED and REMADE EXCLUSIVELY for the Intellivision Amico™:
Astrosmash™, Shark! Shark!™, Baseball, Night Stalker™, Skiing, Math Fun™, SNAFU™, Utopia™, Frog Bog™, Boxing, Bowling, Triple Action™, Tron Deadly Discs™, Cloudy Mountain: Crown of Kings, Star Strike™, Horse Racing, Auto Racing, B-17 Bomber™ AND MORE!
• Atari Classics REIMAGINED and REMADE EXCLUSIVELY for the Intellivision Amico™:
Pong™, Asteroids™, Centipede™, Tempest™, Adventure™, Missile Command™, Yar’s Revenge™, Breakout™, Lunar Lander™, Night Driver™, Sky Diver™, Warlords™
• Imagic Classics REIMAGINED and REMADE EXCLUSIVELY for the Intellivision Amico™:
Microsurgeon™, Atlantis™, Demon Attack™, Dracula™, Beauty and the Beast™, Ice Trek™, Swords & Serpents™, Dragonfire™, Truckin’™ AND MORE!
Other Games REIMAGINED and REMADE EXCLUSIVELY for the Intellivision Amico™:
• Miner 2049er™
• Super Burgertime™
• Bad Dudes™
• Caveman Ninja™
• Moon Patrol™
• 10 Yard Fight™
• Lode Runner™
• Kung-Fu Master™
• MotoRace USA™
• Tropical Angel™
• ToeJam & Earl™
Not only will the Intellivision Amico™ bring the fun and simplicity of classic gaming to modern day, but an entire plethora of completely brand new games and franchises are currently being created by game developers and game publishers around the world using the same core principles of sensible, simple and fun.
“The average age of a gamer today is 34 years old, and the market reflects that with a broad array of games for people of all ages. Of course, some parents may find that many of those games are not age-appropriate for their children,” said ESRB president, Patricia Vance. “Intellivision’s policy to only offer games rated E for Everyone and E10+ for Everyone 10 and up on its new system makes finding the right games easier for busy families, especially those with young gamers.”
Followers can join the Intellivision family by subscribing to updates at IntellivisionEntertainment.com.
INTELLIVISION® History & Facts – “A LEGACY OF FIRSTS”:
• Intellivision was the first 16-bit game console, a full 2 generations before it became the industry standard.
• The original Intellivision system was so popular that it sold across 3 decades (1979 – 1990).
• The Intellivision control disc was the first game console to offer a directional thumb pad which was the predecessor to what later became the industry standard directional pad (D-Pad). It was also the first game console to allow for 16 directions while offering 4 action buttons and a 12-button keypad, which opened up greater game play options and control.
• The Intellivision was the first video game console that had a built-in PAUSE feature on the controller.
• The first console to have built-in screen burn-in protection by blacking out the TV after a few minutes of game inactivity. This vision and idea was the precursor to the entire “screen saver” concept.
• The very first video game to have speech/voice was the 1979 Intellivision release of Major League Baseball.
• Intellivision was the first console which incorporated professional sports licensing for its sports games, the boxes were emblazoned with official logos from Major League Baseball (MLB), National Football League (NFL), National Hockey League (NHL), National Basketball Association (NBA), Professional Golfers’ Association (PGA), North American Soccer League (NASL), Professional Bowlers Association (PBA), American Backgammon Players Association (ABPA), the United States Chess Federation (USCF) and the U.S. Ski Team.
• Intellivision had the largest home console software library in the world with the release of their cross-platform “System Changer” device that allowed Atari® 2600 games to be played on the Intellivision system.
• 30 years ahead of its time, the Intellivision was the very first game console to offer digital distribution of video games through the PlayCable service. The PlayCable adapter connected to the Intellivision cartridge port and allowed the downloading of games through a cable TV subscription. New York Yankee legend and Hall of Famer Mickey Mantle was the TV and print ad spokesmen for the product which was released in 1981.
• With the release of the Keyboard Component, Intellivision was one of the first video game systems that was able to be used and turned into a home computer.
• The Intellivision Music Synthesizer was the first game console or home computer to offer a musical synthesizer keyboard. This allowed people to play and create music using technology.
• The first home console and video games to use a tile based playfield which allowed for the display of detailed graphics and color with very little RAM.
• Intellivision was the first game console to have a complete built-in character font. Intellivision’s system font had complete upper and lowercase alphabets, numerals, and almost all of the punctuation and symbols found on standard computer keyboards.
• The Intellivision game Utopia™ was the very first “real time strategy” and city building/god game.
• Intellivision was responsible for the first “Console War” when it launched a national ad campaign against then rival Atari®, by using side-by-side comparisons with journalist George Plimpton as its spokesman.
Boom! This is the current hot topic….. the buzz around town among the Anime community fans now!! Meme & 9Gag worthy images are also on the rise haha
So far nothing positive, the most I’ve seen was something neutral xD haha
Comments of “Wah! Wanna challenge CF?”, “Whachu know about Otakus?”. Too much corporate marketing lingo on the front page maybe. Who knows… the folks have not reached out to us yet, no proper media launch yet… no official launch either but it’s rolling forward.
Since I am the one here suggesting that the possible negative or neutral response to the advert below (then again its common for most people response negative to new things or change) could be due to ‘corporate marketing lingo’, i should elaborate a bit more. Here is the text :
“BEHOLD! THE YEAR’S MOST EXCITING NEW ANIME, COSPLAY, E-GAMES & TOYS EXTRAVAGANZA IS AT HAND! A million sights & sounds as well as thousands of renowned cosplayers and enthusiasts from around the globe! Experience arguably the most anticipated comics event ever! OTAKUs UNITE!”
- “The year’s most exciting new ….. is at hand” – The event Facebook page want started in January Yes. However as of today, there are only 65 likes on the page (one of them me & another is us, Cosplay Fun Malaysia). And since I realist (doing my best to an optimist) I’m gonna say that the 65 of us would be the only quantifiable ones who truly know / is excited because we clicked LIKE and want to know all announcements… all news. Since I only saw the advert last week, for the first time…. I personally am not incline to say that it’s ‘this year’s more exciting new event!’ From January – September 2018, I didn’t know it existed.
- “A million sights & sounds as well as thousands of renowned cosplayers and enthusiasts from around the globe!” – I’m not so sure what this means or what the writer was trying to say other than it has a lot of adjectives. I don’t know how “a million sights & sounds” links to “thousands of renowned cosplayers & enthusiasts..”. Are they going to post a Guinness World Record of photos & videos of cosplayers from all over the world? Or are they anticipating thousands of cosplayers + enthusiasts from all over the world are going to come? If that’s what they mean, I’m excited and I wanna help promote 🙂
- “Experience arguably the most anticipated comics event ever!” – personally, I feel that’s going to be difficult to take this first-time event as ‘most anticipated …event ever’. Also great due to point 1, I just found out about it last year.
- OTAKUs UNITE! – I’ve read some comments taking this in a negative light. For me I’m neutral. But the general condenses from the origins, which is Japan, the term has a negative connotation. It’s like calling out NERDS UNITE! Some will be ok and some wouldn’t like this I guess haha. Oh well!
Ada apa dengan gaya in? From what I know, in writing there is a certain margin of flair & exaggeration that can be considered ‘style’. I view this ‘style’ as a marketing style lingo, as these words & visuals will also be used in materials (flyer, posters etc) during presentation to potential sponsors and clients 🙂 So sometimes if the words are not ‘gempak’ enough, it doesn’t excite the client… especially to those who do not know about ACG events.
Bottom line – I just think the up roar is about poor copyrighting. It was more exaggeration-fantasy than factual-realistic-expectation. I am a realist (trying my best to be an optimist too) but not a language expert. So it’s just what I think… 2 cents 😀
Suggestion – Now I don’t wanna leave this with out a suggestion of a solution 🙂 In my opinion, they should dial back a bit on the adjaectives and announce more objectively 🙂 Alternatively, if they came out with a BIG BANG BANG BANG announcement like Hideo Kojima, Hayao Miyazaki and Yaya Han coming to Malaysia’s ABCDEF Event – BEHOLD! THE YEAR’S MOST EXCITING NEW ANIME, COSPLAY, E-GAMES & TOYS EXTRAVAGANZA IS AT HAND! Experience arguably the most anticipated comics event ever! OTAKUs UNITE! Straight away blow peoples with a BANG, and your tagline + benefit-of-the-doubt = ALL VALID hype hehe Honestly, i think with this kind of announcement, most off the community won’t care what you write xD hahaha Half will be excited and the other half going “Sure or not?”, “Who are these organisers?”, “Sure not scammers?” xD haha
In conclusion, I’m truly excited to hear of yet another ‘big scale’ event! The organisers are of the Star Media Group, they’re legit *thumbs up*. Being ‘legit’ and credible (Star Media Group) and not a brand new company / entity they would have a reputation to keep so all in all… I’m excited & looking forward to it 🙂
With already 2 brand new events this year, TAGCC (Toys Anime Games and Comic Con) and Asia Comic Con (Malaysia), I think this little announcement / surprise will be a nice finale for 2018… the cherry on the sundae… the last Event Of the Year! Singapore has that event called EOY… and ours was CF… until now.
Lots of Love to you all! Be safe and enjoy your events!!
– The Captain –
#StarSupaComic #StarSupaComic2018 #SCC2018 #TheCaptain #CosplayFunMY #PopCultureFunMY #EOY #TAGCC #AsiaComicCon #ACCMY #AsiaComicConMY #Malaysia #Singapore #Otaku #Anime #Cosplay #Egames #Omocha #MidValley #MVEC
Original article by Pop Culture Fun Malaysia. Link here: Game Start 2018 – Preview
Earlier this year, Eliphant Pte Ltd who are the organisers of Game Start Asia, made the BREAKING LEVEL UP news… they were locking arms with another home grown convention power house – SOZO Pte Ltd… the creators of Anime Festival Asia, then Anime Matsuri spin-offs as well as Japan Music Festival (JMF) among other signature events. It was MEGA TEAM as if the Avengers teamed up with the X-Men to take baddies from another galaxy!! South East Asia’s premiere gaming event joins up with South East Asia’s one stop Japanese Pop Culture Experience! EPIC just got multiplied!
RELATED: AFA & Game Start Asia UNITE!
After this big announcement… we’re expecting more from Game Start 2018 & they are already on track to deliver from what announcements they’ve already made. If you’re like me, I always excited to know who are the guest are… so here it is in short!
1) MONSTER HUNTER: WORLD – Director = Yuya Tokuda
2) MONSTER HUNTER: WORLD – Executive Director + Art Director = Kaname Fujioka
3) SOULCALIBUR VI – Producer = Motohiro Okubo
4) Celebrity Gamer – New Japan Pro Wrestling IGPW Heavy Weight CHAMPION – Kenny Omega (The GS folks have really gone over board this time!! OMG!!)
5) Celebrity Voice Actor – OVERWATCH (Mei) = Elise Zhang (I’m sorry I’m sorry I’m sorry)
Whats NEW this year?
1) 3 HALLS in SUNTEC!
2) Shadowverse Contenders Cup 2018
3) Tekken World Tour 2018
4) ArcRevo World Tour 2018
5) Gaming Workshops: Build Your own Arcade Machine / Create Fun Animations
6) Masterclasses by Jax Jocson & Carlo Arellano
Here’s the official press release!
GameStart 2018 (#GameStart2018), Southeast Asia’s Premier Game Convention, celebrates its 5th year on 13 & 14 October 2018 with the ultimate gaming content at Suntec Convention Centre. Organisers Eliphant announced a series of returning favourites as well as new and exciting content for everyone, including game showcases and previews, tabletop gaming, esports, indie games, retro gaming, and cosplay. Esports fans can gear up for exciting competition as SEA Major (SEAM) 2018 plays host to more international tournaments. Mobile esports also takes centerstage as SEA Mobile Major (SEAMM) plays host to the very first Shadowverse Contenders Cup for the Southeast
Asia & Oceania region.
An exciting guest lineup awaits visitors at GameStart 2018. Organisers revealed a guest appearance by voice actress Elise Zhang, who is best known as the voice of Mei, a character from one of the world’s most popular games, Overwatch. Please see Annex C for her bios.
New additions to GameStart include the debut of GameStart Masterclasses, where well-known creatives and personalities from the international games industry are invited to run specialised masterclasses. GameStart Workshops, developed in collaboration with No Average Joe, is a series of workshops and talks that focus on a range of general gaming-related topics. GameStart MasterClasseswill be held on 10 and 12 October while GameStart Workshops will be held during the convention.
Crowd Favourites to Delight All
In addition to previewing new games, visitors can immerse themselves in the action-packed halls with a slew of game-related returning favourites, including:
● Gather round and immerse yourselves in fantastic worlds of board games, old and new, as the GameStart Tabletop returns to bring gamers the discovery of new analog worlds.
● Doujin Market, Singapore’s largest community curated youth arts and illustration fair, is back for the third year with 43 artist tables. It is curated in partnership with Neo Tokyo Project, Singapore’s first dedicated pop-culture marketing collective.
● The 3rd Secretlab Grand Prix will be held for 2 sessions on 13 and 14 October, and the
competitor with the fastest timing EACH DAY gets to bring home their own Secretlab Chair!
● Cosplayers can put their best game cosplay forward at the GameStart Cosplay Runway on 14 October. Pre-registration is now open at http://bit.ly/gscosplay18
● Unwind, chill out and grab a bite in the fantasy-themed Sanctuary – A selection of awesome vendors, with great food and tasty beverages including specially selected craft beers, welcomes all within the convention grounds.
Celebrating Indie Talent
GameStart visitors will get to vote for their favourite indie game for the GameStart Indie Award, and play a part in helping the winners take their first steps to prominence. The winning game developer will win a sponsored trip to exhibit in Taipei Game Show 2019 in January 2019, as well as a high-end creative pen tablet sponsored by WACOM. Both 2017 GameStart Indie Award winners went on to clinch international awards in Taipei Game Show and beyond.
See what the future of gaming can offer at The Founders Base, GameStart’s special indie area, with subsidized booths to individuals, start-ups and small companies that create or work with games. Limited booths are still available on a first come first served basis, and interested applicants can find out more at https://gamestart.asia/landing/#exhibit.
World Class Tournament Action at Our Doorsteps
SEA Major (SEAM) 2018, one of the largest fighting game tournaments in Asia, returns to GameStart 2018 bigger and better! Expect to see high-level tournament action, as top players from around the world convene to fight for over USD 60,000 in prizes! This year is extra special, as SEA Major will play host pitstops for four major events – the Capcom Pro Tour Asia Finals, Tekken World Tour Master event, one of only 7 Dragon Ball FighterZ World Tour SAGA events, and the only ArcRevo World Tour event announced for Southeast Asia.
The inaugural Shadowverse SEAO Contenders Cup, where the top 4 players in the South East Asia Oceania (SEAO) Region fight for the right to represent the region at the Shadowverse World Grand Prix in Japan, for a top prize of USD 1,000,000, will also be held during GameStart 2018.
More details of key highlights in the tournament line-up, announced to date, is available at Annex A. To join the tournaments, check out BeastAPAC.com.
Once-in-a-lifetime Opportunity to Learn from Legendary Game Artists
Take your Game Art to a whole new level with the GameStart Masterclasses on 10 and 12 October. For the first time, two acclaimed international game artists, will be in town to conduct exclusive intensive sessions for budding and professional game artists in Singapore.
Jacqueline A.X Jocson, Art Director, Concept Artist & Instructor at the Academy of Art University, San Francisco will share insights on visual storytelling and the concept behind creating iconic and memorable characters on 10 October. Carlo Arellano, Art Director at Super Evil Megacorp, will focus on Advanced Character Design on 12 October. Details of the speakers are available in Annex B.
The Masterclasses are organized by GameStart Asia and held at *SCAPE, the venue sponsor. Seats are priced at SGD120. Registration will open on the official GameStart site closer to date.
GameStart Workshops, powered by No Average Joe, will be held on 13 and 14 October within the GameStart halls. Sessions range from a hands-on workshop by Retrocade for those who are interested in building their very own mini arcade machine, as well as learning basic game animation. The full schedule will be available from 24 September onwards when pre-registration opens.
A Weekend of Fun, Games and More
GameStart 2018 will see its most diverse offerings to date, with mobile and PC games having a bigger presence at the convention. The first batch of exhibitors and sponsors announced for GameStart 2018 include The Walt Disney Company Southeast Asia, who will be exhibiting at GameStart for the first time, Japanese mobile giant Cygames; Mihoyo, publisher of popular mobile game Honkai Impact 3; WB Games, Taipei Game Show, Battlebrew Productions, 3DSense and gaming apparel brand Xmashed Gear.
HyperX leads this year’s sponsor list as Official Gaming Headset, Armaggeddon as Official Quest Sponsor, Wacom will sponsor the GameStart Indie Awards, and MyRepublic returns as Fibre Broadband Sponsor. Sponsors also include Monster (Official Energy Drink), Central City Brewers & Distillers (Official Alcohol Beverage Sponsor), Razer, Twitch and Xsplit, the official streaming software of the event. Tickets and official merchandise are available for sale at gamestart.asia/ticketing
“Esports has been garnering huge interest and publicity in recent years. Coupled with the popularity of mobile gaming and as celebrities openly play games such as Fortnite, gaming is now more mainstream than ever. In GameStart, we have seen a gradual shift in the demographics of GameStart attendees -from hardcore gamers when we first started to a wider variety of visitors, from esports fans, competitive gamers, to families with young children. Our content has also evolved to be more inclusive of different interest groups, such as our partnership with Doujin Market and the introduction of our
Tabletop area, which was very well received last year,” said Elicia Lee, Founder of GameStart Asia.
Venue: Suntec Convention Centre Halls 401 – 403, Singapore
Event Dates: 13 & 14 October 2018
● VIP Ticket Holders: 10am – 9pm
● General Public: 11am – 9pm
GameStart 2018 MasterClasses
Dates: 10 & 12 October 2018
#GameStart2018 #GS2018 #SEAmajor #GameStartAsia #Eliphant #AFA #Sozo #AnimeFestivalAsia #TekkenWorldTour #Shadowverse #ArcRevoWorldTour #DragonBallFighterz #YuyaTokuda #KanameFujioka #MonsterHunterWorld #MotohiroOkubo #SoulCaliburVI #KennyOmega #EliseZhang #Overwatch #OverwatchMei #masterclass #GameStartMasterclass #JaxJocson #CarloArellano #TheCaptain #PopCultureFunMY #CosplayFunMY
Annex A: Tournament Line-up (As of 20 September 2018)
[Please refer to the official website for the latest updates]
SEA Major (SEAM) 2018 Tournaments include
ArcRevo World Tour – 13 & 14 Oct
Announced at EVO 2018, the ArcRevo World Tour will make a pitstop in Singapore. Watch as participants in ArcSys’s marquee games, Guilty Gear Xrd Rev 2, BlazBlue: Cross Tag Battle and BlazBlue: Central Fiction, fight for the chance to call themselves the best of the best.
Capcom Pro Tour Asia (Finals And Last Change Qualifiers)
Last chance qualifier on 13 Oct, with the Asia Finals on 14 Oct. After a year of intense competition, Asia’s best descendon the SEA Major Stage to duke it out for a chance to
call themselves the best in the region.
Dragon Ball FighterZ SAGA Event – 13 & 14 Oct
The fifth in a line of Saga events, competitors from all over the world gather to decide who will go on to fight for the title of World Champion! at the pinultimate event in January 2019.
Tekken 7 – 13 & 14 Oct
With the Open Tournament, the stage is set for you to emerge the victor as you pit your Tekken skills against the best from around the region for the prize pool of USD$15,000!
Special Tournament Highlight
Shadowverse Contenders Cup – 13 Oct
After a year of competition, the top 4 players in the South East Asia Oceania Region gather to prove themselves and fight for the right to represent the SEAO region at the Shadowverse World Grand Prix in Japan, and vie for the top prize of USD 1,000,000.
Annex B: GameStart MasterClasses – Trainer Profiles
Carlo Arellano, Art Director, Super Evil Megacorp
Carlo began his career as a creature and character designer, working on such movies as Van Helsing, Spider Man, Evolution, Tremors 3, Hollowman and Tim Burton’s Planet of The Apes.
In entertainment design he has worked on amusement park projects for Universal Studios Japan, most notably the Water World Experience. Carlo has provided concepts, textures and models for many Video Game projects including: World of Warcraft, Ratchet and Clank, Resistance, and God of War. His illustrations have been featured in Dungeons and Dragons, Dark Horse Comics and in the books Nuthin But Mech, MetamorFX and Costume Design And Illustration: For Film Video Games And Animation. He has taught Concept Art and Figure Drawing at Art Institute, Concept Design Academy, Concept Design Workshop, Computer Graphics Masters Academy and Laguna College of Art And Design.
Carlo Arellano’s teaching methodology concentrates on design and the use of it to efficiently communicate ideas and provoke specific emotional responses in the audience. By using proportion, form, storytelling, color and focused design creation rather than sprawling ideation, the student is shown how to create strong archetypes which resonate with the viewer. The student is given tools to communicate important storytelling ideas and skills to create production ready concepts which take into account not only artistic concerns but pipeline, animation and gameplay needs.
He is currently the Art Director at Super Evil Megacorp in San Francisco, California.
Jacqueline AX Jocson, Art Director & Concept Artist
Jacqueline Jocson is an Art Director & Concept Artist specializing in design and storytelling. Originally from Houston,TX, she moved to Los Angeles to work in the Entertainment Industry. She graduated from University of Southern California with a Masters of Fine Arts in Digital Art & Animation.
Over the past decade, Jacqueline has worked in film ,game, VR/AR ,television, advertising, and IP creation for the past decade with clients such as Stan Lee’s POW! Entertainment, SyFy Channel, Digital Domain ,Super Evil Megacorp, and Psyop. Projects include Capcom’s Lost Planet, Super Evil Megacorp’s MOBA Vainglory, Supercell’s Clash of Clans advertising campaign with Psyop, and creating and pitching IPs for Stan Lee.
Jacqueline teaches & writes courses for the BFA & MFA programs in the School of Game Development at the Academy of Art University San Francisco. Some of her courses include Monsters vs Mechs, Character Design, Digital Painting, & Digital Figure Painting.
Annex C: Elise Zhang, Voice Actress – Profile
Voice actress, best known as “Mei” in Overwatch. Being a Chinese voice actor, she dubbed for Mei in both the English and Mandarin versions, and Symmetra in the Mandarin version. She is Lily in Heroes of Storm, and Alleria Windrunner in HearthStone. She also voices a lot of cartoons in China, such as Power Puff Girls, We Bare Bears, P King Duckling, Lego NEXO KNIGHTS, Lily’s Driftwood Bay, Ruby Gloom.
Original article here at Pop Culture Fun – Malaysia!
Just as Bucky, T’challa, Spider-Man didn’t ‘feel so good’ in this years blockbuster Avengers: Infinity War, the 11 year old event STGCC has received the same fate. In Ep 4, Luke was “A New Hope” then in Ep 8, he became the last Jedi (or did he?)
No official announcement was made or delivered but from what I gathered — 2018 is THE LAST STGCC!
Next year, it will be known as SINGAPORE COMIC CON.
For those of who feel like throwing something at me, please chill. In all my 8 years of blogging, (never got paid, and still not given a cent) this is one of my most witty post title ever! So please show mercy 🙂 Thank you.
It has been a question on my mind for the past two years because Reed Pop / Reed Expo does like to keep things consistent and has a uniformity for brands. I particularly noticed that when they launched a whole bunch on new Comic Con events in India & China.
If you go to their website you will notice all their comic shows are called “____ Comic Con” except the Singapore show, so I kinda knew this change was inevitable, it was only a matter of time. I expected the 10th show last year to be the celebration of a decade and also the birth of something new but I guess they were waiting to announce it this year 🙂
Anyhow, I had a great time at STGCC 2017. Was there with the Outpost Commander… who I was with for the first STGCC back in 2008. I had a great time this year to at STGCC 2018… which I will now dub as ‘The End of an Era… the beginning of something new”… in the flavour of the famous Star Trek TNG series finale – “All Good Things…”. I ‘m glad I was there for all this memorable milestones 🙂 It means a lot to me 🙂
STGCC 2018 Visit – blog coming soon. Here’s some classic STGCC footage to commemorate the great run of the name & the brand!
STGCC Chronicles (2008 – 2018)
In 2008, PI Events Singapore launch an event called Singapore Toy, Game & Comic Convention. Me and the Outpost Commander were in Singapore at the time and we will always remember it because there was all these temporary changes in bus routes, security checks and other changes, thanks to the first F1 in Singapore haha.
Anyways, in 2009 we made it down again to STGCC because I was on a mission. Early STGCC announcements mentioned – HEROES (TV series) contest for a Super Fan! *Ting* *Light bulb*… so I went down to ace it.
It was fun and had a whole lot of stuff but majority still being more Japanese then the ‘Comic Con’ it was supposed to be. Now if you take a step back and look at the Singapore events landscape then (2008), an event called Anime Festival Asia debuted and was impressive with much potential. AFA was always true to it’s goal – “One Stop Japanese Pop Culture Experience!”… and for STGCC they were sorta having a bit of everything for everyone or maybe undecided on their goals.
Anyhow after the 2009 STGCC show, Reed Exhibitions stepped in and acquired the show in April 2010. And since then, after being powered by Reed Pop, STGCC slowly took shape (thru the years) and has been come a monster of an event that we have today. In the early years of the Reed Pop era of STGCC, 2010 – 2012, many criticized that STGCC was more Japanese Pop Culture show than Western Comic Con style event. But now, it is certainly not the case. For western comic fans, this is as close as we can get to Valhalla and return alive… even with on a tight budget!
In the past few years, STGCC has been bringing Marvel / DC guest artist that range from ‘Legendary’ to the currently ‘HOT’ topics in the comics scene! Artist example: 2015 had Adam Hughes (Babe expert!), Jim Cheung (AvX), Adi Granov (because of him we have MCU Iron Man)! 2016 Had “Hail Hydra Captain America” – Nick Spencer, Phil Noto (Marvel Star Wars covers), Brooke Allen (Adventure Time, Powerpuff Girls)! 2017 Had Arthur Adams (Legend), Frank Cho (DC Babe Expert), James C Mulligan (Disney FineArts Artist! 2018 Ryan Meinerding (Head of Visuals at Marvel Studios), David Finch (the man who married Batman), Mark Brooks (the man who married Spider-man?)… just to name a few.
Thank you STGCC for the memories and I am looking forward to the spiffy new SINGAPORE COMIC CON in 2019!! Thank you Reed Pop for powering this show and now… taking it to another level!! I hope to be there in 2019!!
#ReedPop #STGCC #SingaporeToyGameComicCon #SingaporeTGCC #SCC2019 #SINGAPORECOMICCON #TheCaptain #OutpostCommander #PopCultureFunMY #CosplayFunMY #Comics #ComicBook #WesternComics #GameOver #STGCCchronicles
Hello Friends and Fans!
I’m sure most of you already know that Dave Ross is coming to Kuala Lumpur in July and he will be a special guest at Visual Arts Expo 2018 Woo hoo!! And with great excitement I would like to announce that Dave has just opened up taking commission orders for us folks in Malaysia. Friends and Fans, don’t miss this opportunity to get your own unique, individual, one of a kind (in the world) art of your favourite character(s), hand drawn by one of the western comic world veterans!! Price Guide below.
For those of you who are not yet familiar with Dave and his work – “Mr. Dave Ross is a veteran comic artist from Canada. He’s been involved in the comic book industry since its glory days in the 80s all the way till this decade. He is one of the few comic artists who has work for the “big 3” comic publishers of that prime era – Marvel, DC and also Dark Horse! The titles he’s penciled are house hold names from across the genre like Star Wars, Star Trek, Batman, Spider-man, Aliens vs Predator, X-Men, X-Factor, Excalibur, New Avengers, West Coast Avengers, Justice League of America, Daredevil, Deadpool, Punisher, (my first comic series) Alpha Flight & many more! I say titles, because if I were you list the names of characters… this column would not be enough haha”.
For more info on Dave’s work you can go to his website: (www.daverossart.com/checklist.html). Trust me, if you have been collecting comics in this era. You’re bound to have at least one comic that he has penciled! haha
For a more extensive list of works by Dave you can check here: http://www.comicbookdb.com/creator.php?ID=1783
Here are the rates were for full sized (11” x 17”) comic boards.
Single Figure, No Background – RM 580.00
Single Figure, Some Background – RM 760.00
Single Figure, Full Background – RM 860.00
Two Figures, No Background – RM 830.00
Two Figures, Some Background – RM 980.00
Two Figures, Full Background – RM 1,130.00
Here are rates for blank comic book covers:
Single Figure – (finished pencils only) RM 280.00
Two Figures – (finished pencils only) RM 480.00
+ RM 150.MR for Inks
VAX Commissions Page: https://www.facebook.com/events/2125796501000857/
Dave Ross at Visual Arts Expo 2018 – schedule
Saturday, 21 July 2018 – Comic Panel
3pm at Main Stage
Sunday, 22 July 2018 – *Comic Workshop
3pm – 5pm at Special Room
Tickets: RM 35 early bird, RM 50 at the door.
*Ticket into Visual Arts Expo not necessary.
In July 2015, Dave released his first book called, Free Hand Figure Drawing for Illustrators: The Art of Drawing from Memory. Since then has been translated to Japanese, Korean and this year, into Mandarin! Copies will be made available at Visual Arts Expo 2018 by the kind folks of Basheer Graphic Books, who will be exhibiting at VAX 2018.
It’s a great book at an affordable price. For me, it really unlock what I now call the “Dave Ross Dynamic Angle Pose”haha Do check it out if you have the chance!
Free Hand Figure Drawing For Illustrators: The Art of Drawing from Memory
by David H. Ross (book details)
- Paperback: 208 pages
- Publisher: Watson-Guptill (July 28, 2015)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 0385346239
- ISBN-13: 978-0385346238
- Product Dimensions: 8.6 x 0.6 x 10.9 inches
- Shipping Weight: 1.8 pounds
#DaveRoss #DavidRoss #DavidHRoss #VisualArtsExpo #VAX2018 #VAXisBack #Marvel #DC #DarkHorse #Valiant #ComicBookArtist #FreeHandFigureDrawingForIllustrators
#PopCultureFunMY #CosplayFunMY #TheCaptain #KualaLumpur #Malaysia #ShahAlam